ELD Enforcement in Canadian Provinces
Canadian ELD mandate soft enforcement date, June 12th, 2021, has finally arrived. Because of certification process delays, there will be no penalties until at least January 1st, 2023, for those who have not installed certified ELDs, or whose ELDs are on the waitlist for certification.
Meanwhile, each jurisdiction decides how and when they would like to enforce the ELD regulation.
As of June 2021:
- 10 of the 12 jurisdictions have communicated their decision for ELD enforcement (New Brunswick and the Northwest Territories have not informed their decision yet).
- Out of those 10 jurisdictions, all of them have announced that there will be no fines or carrier points applied until the full enforcement period, for those not equipped with a certified ELD.
- Alberta and Manitoba mentioned the possibility of issuing warnings for carriers without ELDs after December 31st, 2021.
What can I do to get ready for January 2023 ELD full enforcement?
- Use the remaining time to make sure you are as ready as “reasonably possible” to comply with the mandate. It takes about 6 months to fully get used to using an ELD and all the features it offers.
- If you are a Federally Regulated Carrier required to use paper logbooks, you will have to switch to ELDs. If you do not have one yet, or would like to compare solutions, please request a product demo from Streamline.
- If you are an Intra-Provincial Carrier, please, follow your jurisdiction updates:
Alberta: Hours of service and fatigue management | Alberta.ca
British Columbia: Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) in British Columbia
Manitoba: Motor Carrier | Manitoba Infrastructure | Province of Manitoba (gov.mb.ca)
Newfoundland Labrador: ELD for Federally-Regulated Commercial Carriers (gov.nl.ca)
Nova Scotia: Electronic logging devices | novascotia.ca
Ontario: Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) for Intra-provincial Carriers (ontariocanada.com)
Prince Edward Island: One-year grace period for switching to ELDs in PEI
Saskatchewan: Electronic Logging Devices | Government of Saskatchewan
Quebec: Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) – SAAQ (gouv.qc.ca)
Yukon: Electronic logging device (ELD) requirements in Yukon