Get Your Fleet Ready for Winter
Vehicle crashes double each winter, that is why it is important to get ready for the cold weather. As most Streamline customers will deal with cold-weather driving conditions, we have prepared some information to help our telematics users and readers stay safe throughout the winter.
Important preparations for winter:
- Trucking companies need to know their legal responsibilities (ensure your employees are trained for winter driving conditions, aware of winter driving hazards and have equipment that keeps drivers safe – snow brush, flares, tire chains, first aid kit, traction mat, flashlight, battery jumper cables, spare tire, extra windshield washer fluid).
- Change the tires on time (commercial vehicle operators are required to get proper winter tires and chains for the period from October 1 till April 30 in Canada; in the USA, it is recommended to drive with winter tires if you drive in the northern states in the wintertime).
When driving, keep an eye on the following:
- Perform your daily vehicle inspection thoroughly, keep an eye on chains, heating system, battery, coolant and other fluid levels.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Watch your fuel’s system water separation. Drain it frequently to prevent fuel contamination.
- Ensure you have all the emergency supplies you need in case you get stuck without heat (high-energy food, survival candle, flares, flashlight).
As a carrier who operates under the National Safety Code (NSC), you must:
- Educate yourself and all drivers who work under your safety certificate of all National Safety Code requirements
- Ensure all vehicles operated under your certificate and properly inspected and maintained
- Ensure only competent and qualified operators drive your vehicles
- Establish policies for safety programs and ensure that policies are followed.
Streamline Transportation Technologies Inc., an Arrow Company, is a leading provider of fleet management solutions for the transportation industry. Streamline combines telematics with advanced wireless and vehicle automation technologies to make vehicles safer, cleaner, and more productive. Streamline offers three major core products; Navistream™, an ELD and telematics platform, NaviLink®, an IoT vehicle gateway and active control system, and Degama, a Transportation Management Solution (TMS). The integration of the three platforms allows Streamline to offer a complete package of fleet solutions, customizable to any fleet size. For more information, visit stti.com.
At Streamline, we constantly increase our level of expertise to provide our customers with the most reliable information, however, the information on this page is presented for informational purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. Please, contact your local DOT department for questions Streamline is unable to answer.